It’s a new year which means new resolutions. You know, the same ones you make every year that you never manage to keep up with? We feel you, and we’d like to help! When it comes to getting fit and healthy, there are endless choices of activities to do. But let’s face it – not all of them are easy or fun.
That’s why we want to share 10 of our favourite exercises that are both enjoyable and relatively easy for anyone to do. These exercises don’t require special equipment or involve a complicated routine – just 10 simple workouts that will help you get in shape, be healthy, and have fun doing it! So what are we waiting for? Let’s get started!
Increase Flexibility With Stretching Exercises
It’s important for your overall physical fitness to incorporate stretching exercises into your routine. Doing so will help increase your flexibility so that you have a greater range of motion and better posture. Plus, stretching can also help to reduce pain and tension in your muscles.
There are a few different types of stretching that you can do:
- Static stretching – This involves holding a stretch position for between 30 seconds and two minutes. It helps to relax the muscles being stretched and is best done after exercising, or when you feel like you need to loosen up tight muscles.
- Dynamic stretching – This type of stretching involves active movement as opposed to holding a stretch for a period of time. It can offer many of the same benefits as static stretching plus help to warm up the body before exercising in order to prepare it for physical activity. It’s very important not to do dynamic stretches too quickly because it could cause injury.
- Ballistic stretching – This type of stretching is similar to dynamic stretching but involves bouncing motions that can improve flexibility quickly. It should only be used by experienced athletes due to their higher risk of injuring yourself if done incorrectly or too intensely.
So why not give these stretches a try? By incorporating even just a few simple stretches into your daily routine, you will give yourself greater flexibility, reduced pain and tension, and an overall better sense of physical fitness!
Balance Training to Improve Your Coordination
Improving your coordination and balance, while having a bit of fun, is one of the best ways to get your physical fitness levels up. Balance training can help you improve your posture, strength and core stability in no time. Here are a few suggestions to help you out:
Single-leg Balance Exercise
This is a great way to practice standing on one leg and getting used to balancing. Start by standing upright and keeping your core tight. Slowly lift one foot off the ground and hold the position, using your core to help you stay upright. You can start with 15-20 seconds and work your way up as your balance skills improve.
Floor To Chair Balance
This exercise is great for improving your core and hip flexibility. Begin by standing to one side of a chair, then slowly lift one foot off the ground and bring it up onto the chair seat. Make sure your weight is equally distributed on your arms, legs and glutes, then carefully and slowly stand up straight. Hold the pose for 10-15 seconds and then slowly come back down. You can repeat this up to 10 times, or until you feel a bit of an extra challenge.
Overall, there are many exercises you can do to build your physical fitness. One of the best ways to stay motivated and make physical activity a part of your daily routine is to make it fun and interesting.
Whether you’re a fan of yoga, strength training, or even just going on a run, staying active can help you reap the many physical and mental benefits that come along with it. So try out some of these easy exercises and start feeling great!
This old classic is great for improving your overall balance and stability. Start off with a basic single-leg balance exercise by standing on one leg for 10-15 seconds, then switch to the other side and repeat for two sets. As you progress, you can add various arm movements such as raising each arm from side to side. This will increase the intensity and challenge your balance even more.
Hula Hoop Workout
This childhood classic isn’t just fun—it’s also an excellent way to increase your coordination and balance! Set aside 15 minutes each day to try out some hula hoop workouts.
You can start off with some simple hula hoop rotations using both hands or one hand at a time depending on which level of difficulty you prefer. As you progress, you can start adding more complicated moves like knee strikes or hip circles for an extra challenge!
Squats are one of the best exercises you can do for overall strength training. Start off by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and slowly bending your knees until they are at an angle of 90 degrees, keeping your back as straight as possible.
Return to the starting position, and repeat for two sets of 10-15 reps. As you progress, you can add more weight such as dumbbells or a barbell.
Another excellent strength training exercise is the lunge. Start off by standing with your feet apart and take a big step forward with one foot while keeping both feet pointing in the same direction.
Bend your knees to form a 90-degree angle, and then return to the starting position. This works both legs, so remember to alternate between legs for two sets of 10-15 reps each.
Push-ups are one of the most popular strength training exercises. Start by lying flat on your stomach with your arms extended and feet slightly apart. Raise your upper body off the floor by using your arms and then lower back down.
You can start with two sets of 10-15 reps, and as you progress, you can add more reps or vary the exercises by doing them on your knees or with one arm at a time.
These exercises and many more can help you to reach your fitness goals and have fun while doing it. So make sure to include some of these exercises in your physical activity routine!
How Does Exercise Keep you Healthy?
Beginning a regular physical activity routine has so many benefits. You’ll find yourself feeling stronger and more confident, sleeping better, and having more energy throughout the day.
Working out regularly can also reduce stress, control weight, and make your bones and muscles stronger. All of these things contribute to making your day-to-day life easier and to overall improved mental health.
Now that you know a bit about why physical activity is important, let’s look at some exercises you can do to get started! Whether your goals are simple or a bit more ambitious, there’s something for everyone. So check out the list below for some fun and easy exercises to help you build your physical fitness this new year.
Strength Training Exercises to Improve Muscular Fitness
Strength training exercises should be included in anyone’s fitness plan. You can do these by yourself at home, or with a trainer. There are many variations of simple and complex exercises that you can do, so no matter your age or strength level, you can modify these exercises to match your lifestyle and fitness level.
Strength training has many benefits:
- Improved muscular strength and endurance
- Increase in bone density, which prevents osteoporosis
- Lower risk of injury
- Improves your posture
Some great at-home exercises to tone your muscles include:
- Pushups – Strengthens chest, shoulders, triceps and core.
- Squats – Strengthen quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes and core.
- Lunges – Strengthens quads, glutes and hamstrings.
- Planks – Strengthens core muscles.
Our clinic offers a range of services to support physical health—from physiotherapy to chiropractic care sessions—that can help you stay motivated on the path towards better physical fitness if that’s something you’re interested in.
Cardio Exercises to Improve Your Cardiovascular Health
Cardiovascular health is an important aspect of overall health, and there are plenty of exercises that can help you improve your cardiovascular health. Here are a few of the most popular:
Running is a great way to get in your cardio and it can be done any time, any place. You don’t need any special equipment or gym membership—just a good pair of running shoes and some open space. Start with short distances at a comfortable pace and build up your distance and intensity as you get more comfortable with running.
Swimming is another excellent way to get in some cardio exercise without putting stress on your joints. You can choose from pool swimming, open water swimming, or even just taking leisurely laps in the pool. To really challenge yourself, do some laps using different swimming strokes like breaststroke or butterfly stroke.
If running and swimming aren’t for you, cycling might be the perfect choice. You can opt for indoor cycling classes or take to the streets with an outdoor bike to get a great cardiovascular workout while also enjoying the scenery. Just make sure you have all the necessary safety gear before getting out on your bike!
Core Workouts for a Stronger Posture
Good news—you can improve your posture, and become a fitness raptor, by doing some core exercises. These exercises will help you strengthen your abdominal muscles and make your spine more stable. Here are some core exercises you can try:
Plank is one of the best total-body workouts, as it strengthens back, shoulder, chest and arm muscles. Hold your body in a straight line for 30-60 seconds for maximum effect. You can do this exercise on the floor or an elevated surface if you need to modify it according to your fitness level.
The Superman pose engages your lower back and glutes while strengthening your arms and leg muscles. Lie down flat on a mat with arms stretched straight in front of you and legs together held off the floor; hold the pose for 10-15 seconds before switching sides.
Pushups are one of the most popular strength training exercises that helps to build good upper body strength while improving core strength as well. Start by doing modified pushups (on your knees) before progressing to regular pushups with proper form. Make sure to keep your core engaged throughout the exercise!
What are the Top 5 Benefits of Exercise?
You might already be aware of some of the benefits exercise offers, but did you know that physical activity can positively affect every area of your life? From increased energy levels to better sleep, these are just five of the main benefits you’ll enjoy when you make it a regular habit.
- Improved energy levels: Exercise not only helps reduce fatigue and increase alertness but can also increase your endurance and overall energy throughout the day.
- Better sleep quality: Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer, leading to more restful nights.
- Higher self-esteem: Exercise encourages endorphins which can lead to improved moods, positivity and increased confidence.
- Increased productivity: Physical activity helps clear the mind and increase focus, perfect for getting back on track if procrastination has set in.
- Reduced stress: In addition to improving physical health, exercise can help reduce stress and anxiety by clearing your mind.
What can BodyViva do for You?
Now that you know about some great exercises for physical fitness, it’s time to find out what BodyViva can do to help you reach your goals. Our team of professional physiotherapists and other healthcare providers offers a comprehensive approach to health.
At BodyViva, we strive to provide quality care in all our services, which include:
- Physiotherapy — We offer evidence-based assessment and treatment for musculoskeletal pain, sports and overuse injuries, pre- and post-operative rehabilitation, and much more.
- Chiropractic — Our experienced chiropractors adjust joints of the spine and other body parts that may have restrictions or misalignments that cause pain.
- Massage Therapy — Our registered massage therapists use various techniques such as deep tissue massage therapy, Swedish massage therapy, myofascial release therapy and more.
- Acupuncture — We employ traditional Chinese medicine to help with chronic pain syndromes like lower back pain, neck pain, headaches/migraines, sciatica and joint pain.
- Podiatry — Our podiatrists assess your feet health needs and can provide patients with a Biomechanical Analysis, General Podiatry Care, and Diabetic Assessment as well as Custom-made sports and general orthotics.
Our clinic takes a holistic approach to health – we’ll help you get the most out of your fitness journey!
Investing in physical fitness is always a great idea. Whether you’re just starting out or already have an exercise routine, adding any of these 10 fun and easy exercises to your routine is a great way to stay healthy and fit while taking minimal effort.
By incorporating these exercises into your daily or weekly routine, you can start to experience the health benefits of regular physical activity and improve your physical fitness. This will consequently help you to achieve and maintain a healthy weight and improve your overall health and well-being.
So don’t wait, start today and enjoy the new healthier you!